Etags are often neglected by most of the webmasters but they are important for a professional website or Blog, So Configure or remove them and make this idea clear by following these steps:
- ETags are used by servers and browsers to validate cached components
- if you’re using Expires headers the last modified date may be used by browsers to check if the component needs to be fetched, ETags are an alternative to the last modified date
- the problem is that ETags are constructed to be specific to one server, when a site is distributed across several servers this is an issue
- there are apache modules that can customize ETags to not be server specific
- if the last modified date is good enough, it is best to remove ETags
The following two tabs change content below.
Hi. I'm Hamza Basharat, I love to find solutions and help people. I'm a senior writer at TheHelptimes and AboutEngg, and currently studying computer engineering.